Wednesday 29 April 2009

Rock the beat! It's another Music Chart!

It's that time of the [insert time period here] again that I make another music list!

Why now? Because there's some new awesome tracks I must talk about!

Now, instead of the normal numbered list, I want to drag this post a little longer. So, you shall be tortured with this little essay! MUAHAHAHAHA!


As many of you probably know by now from reading my older post, I just got myself an iTunes gift card (2, actually). So now, I'm able to buy music by the track rather than the entire album.

(BTW: off-topic, but I'm switching to Amazon.co.uk after my iTunes credit runs out. iTunes is more expensive.)

The first track I bought was James Morrison's "Broken Strings", featuring Nelly Furtado. An emotional duet. Not the newest of tracks, but it's been on many charts for a reason - it has a nice blend of thumping staccato beats and legato parts, and yet it's so expressive.

Next track is Lily Allen's "The Fear" and "Not Fair". Bought them because I've been hearing these song on the radio, and it's been ringing in my ears ever since. You thought these songs were vulgar? Well, you probably didn't buy the rest of her album (I did), because when you get on to the track "F**k You" (That's the name that was submitted to Gracenote), your heads will shake throughout the 3 minutes and 43 seconds of f-bombs. No, this is not just a publicity stunt on the back of her album cover in the CD store. Well, maybe it is. Because this song is actually "dedicated" to the former US President George W Bush and how he screwed up his life as a person who's just trying to impress his father. 

"Love Story" (Taylor Swift), "My Life Would Suck Without You" (Kelly Clarkson) and "I Hate This Part Right Here" (Pussycat Dolls) are some other tracks that you may probably have if you follow other charts like the Billboard 100s. In fact, with the exception of F**K You, all the other tracks I mentioned did appear on the Billboard 100. So, let's move on to the more obscure songs.

This is a very old one, but a timeless classic that I'm sure you heard before, but don't know the title or artist. "Mad World" by Michael Andrews & Gary Jules is the soundtrack for the movie Donnie Darko from 2004, but it's been used in countless movies and TV shows since then. Andrews & Jules aren't the original writers of this song, but their version was definitely the one that brought the song to greater popularity. Do a wiki search on it if you're curious.

On a close note, I just discovered this song on the UK iTunes Chart (I can't get the US Chart. Dang it.). Leona Lewis's "Run". Very moody but motivational song. Maybe a replacement for "Eye of the Tiger" for those Nike+ runners out there?

Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" is another track not unfamiliar to the charts scene, but it's definitely developed a fanbase for its pushy beats that certainly makes me dance and move my shoulders about (that's about the only "dance" I can do whilst seated.) Of course, her other songs, such as "Paparazzi" and "Just Dance" are also awesome dance tracks. I'd love to hear these songs fill dance floors all around the world, or make the place where these songs are broadcasted dance floors.

From banging on George Bush to loving the new Basketballer President, will.i.am's "It's A New Day" celebrates the Obama Presidency and, well, for me, a new day. This song is now my iPhone's alarm tone! Yes, it's a new day, now wake up you lazy bum and celebrate this day!

This is a new one for me, but it's catching on me fast. "Don't Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go)" by Noisettes was a track I just heard on the TV yesterday, but I would say this track could go under the same category as Lady Gaga for being catchy and making you want to dance. Noisettes is like Mary J Blige meet Lady Gaga. And that's a good thing.

One last bit: A special mention to AR Rahman & PCD for "Jai Ho!". I thought this was just the movie soundtrack with an overlay track recorded by Nicole Scherzinger and pals, but it turns out to be a pretty different flavour.PCD meets India, sounds weird, and I'm a bit uncomfortable with that idea, too, but hey, sometimes, things you don't like can mix together to create a good blend. It's like an airplane and a sofa. Mix those, and you get Business Class seats 30,000 feet up in the air!

Ok, you know what, I'm feeling generous today, so above the above post (that's such an ironic statement), I shall add a music chart. No, these songs are not strictly from the passage above, it's completely irrelevant.

Music Chart for the moment!

1. Beyoncé - Halo
2. Metro Station - Shake It
3. Lily Allen - Not Fair
4. Lady Gaga - Disco Heaven
5. Take That - Up All Night
6. Ar Rahman and The Pussycat Dolls - Jai Ho!
7. Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You
8. Noisettes - Don't Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go)
9. Flo Rida feat. Ke$ha - Right Round
10. The Pussycat Dolls - I Hate This Part


P.s.: Late-breaking news: I just bought my 3rd album. Pointing back to my love for Christ, I bought Parachute Band's album, Technicolor.

So, let's see. I bought...
Lily Allen's "It's Not Me, It's You",
Lady Gaga's "The Fame", 
and now, 
Parachute Band's "Technicolor".

That's 3!

That's one item off my bucket list! w00t!

BTW, for those who have no clue who's Parachute Band, they're this NZ-based Christian Rock Band that performed during Festival of Praise 2008 last year at Singapore Indoor Stadium. Awesome band, and they just came out with a new album last October, and I just sampler some of their songs, it sounds good, so I bought the album!

Also, CCC (the church that was founded, I guess, Pastor Phil Pringle) has songs for sale on the UK iTunes Store, too. who knew? iTunes Plus, £0.79 (not 59p. Aww...). Who knew!

No comments: