Friday 3 September 2010

Upgrading your HDD...

Since I've been doing a HDD upgrade on my MBP recently, and Zexun's about to do the same, I thought I'd share some info to help you if you're thinking of doing the same.

Okay, 
Step 1: get a new HDD
I saw a few shops selling internal 2.5" SATA 7200rpm 500GB HDDs for S$129 in Funan. And I got my Hybrid HDD from Cybermind at Sim Lim for S$199 (NDP Special, though - price may have changed since then). 

Either way, just make sure it's: 
•2.5", 
•SATA, and this is one which people tend to overlook: 
•STANDARD THICKNESS (i.e.: 9.5 or 9.7mm thick. Some HDDs are actually 11mm, and those won't fit in MacBooks). 
•If you want performance, I'd recommend a 7200rpm drive.




Step 2: clone your current HDD. 
Make a bootable duplicate of your current hard drive's content. You may need: 
•a Hard Drive enclosure (recommended if you're busy) 
•or a spare external HDD if you have one (would be a two-step process, though). 

You'll also need one of these apps: 
•SuperDuper! ( http://www.shirt-pocket.com/superduper ) or 
•CarbonCopyCloner ( http://www.bombich.com ).

Now, the tricky bit: I used CCC to duplicate my Hard Drives. Tried to start up the Adobe apps, but to no avail. Anyway, I contacted Adobe Support, and they basically said:

"Ronald, it seems that Illustrator has not been copied properly during the cloning. I would request you to un-install Illustrator and re-install from the original media. For that:
1. Navigate to application>utilities>Adobe installers 
2. Lunch (sic) the un-installer for the CS4 suite. 
3. Then select Illustrator from the list to un-install.
4. Then re-install from original media."

Now, I have not tried this yet, since I'm in Jakarta, and my Adobe discs are in the UK. If you want, you could try first and let me know how it goes. But whatever you do, I suggest you keep your old drive with the data on it first - don't format it clean yet, so in case the upgrade doesn't work, you still have something to work with.




One more thing that I just remembered: Alternatively,
Step 2, Method B 
If you use Time Machine, you can "restore" from an old "backup". You need:
•Your current HDD
•Your new internal HDD
•A Time Machine backup drive, with backups.
•Your Mac OS X Snow Leopard (or Leopard, if you're on Leopard) DVD

Here's how:
1. Do one last backup before you move to the new Hard Drive. Then shut down your laptop.
2. Take out the old internal drive, swap in the new one.
3. Insert your (Snow) Leopard DVD and plug your external HDD back in - the one with the Time Machine backup.
4. Boot from your DVD - Just press the power button, press and hold the "Alt" key, and select the DVD icon when it loads up.
5. Format the new hard drive. (Should be Mac OS Extended Journaled, CMIIW.)
6. Select "Utilities>Restore System from Backup..."
7. Follow the on-screen instructions.


Apparently, Method B will help keep Adobe apps useable, somehow.

Hope that's been clear and helpful at the same time!

No comments: