Monday 6 June 2011

WWDC 2011 Predictions

You know the drill - I spout a few things that I predict to happen at WWDC, and I get one point for every thing that comes true. [Each thing is indicated with a "(1)", indicating the points I get for getting it right.]

1. The main people giving the presentation:

  • Steve Jobs (1)
  • Scott Forstall (1)


2. We will see iOS 5 ripping adding features that have been on Android/BlackBerry for a while -

  • the pull-down status bar of Android (1), 
  • the push messaging of BBM (1) , amongst other things. 
  • Also, big on the Twitter integration (1).


3. We will see OS X Lion adding features that have been seen in developer previews -

  • Launch Control = Exposé + Spaces + Pages in iOS (1), 
  • Instapaper-like feature (1), 
  • App Store improvements (1), 
  • Find My Mac (1).


4. We will see iCloud and how it interacts with Lion and iOS5 -

  • it'll be an online locker for music (1), 
  • files (1), 
  • and apps (1). 
  • Also could be the basis for the BBM-like messaging service and FaceTime (1).

5. Release dates -

  • iOS5: 2 weeks' time (1). 
  • Lion: 2 months' time, to give Devs a chance to test OS/UI compatibility. (1)
  • iCloud: 2 weeks' time (1), in time for iOS5.


6. Not happening today -

  • new Mac hardware (1)
  • FCP (1, hurts me to say it's not happening today, since I've seen the FCP X demoes, and love it).


7. One More Thing...

  • iPhone 4s (1): 
  • release date late August (1). 
So, 20 things. Let's see how right/wrong I am...

P.s.: Yes, I did cheat on the Lion stuff - the blogs have been talking about the things I mentioned - not much I can say, since the dev builds have been out there, and unless they added new features today, I doubt there'll be anything exciting in Lion, apart from the iCloud integration.

No comments: