Wednesday 26 May 2010

Whoa, things are quiet around here...

Sorry, I haven't been blogging much recently.

Exams are coming (*gasp!*). Not just any exams, either. It's the finals - the A Levels. Just give me another 30 days and it'll all be done.

Gosh, I really can't believe how time flies. Pretty soon, I'll be moving on to Uni, and then, a job. Seems a bit overwhelming, now that I think of it that way...

But the music ain't gonna stop till the fat lady sings, innit? (Sorry, trying to mix a bit of rap and UK teens accent there.)

Anyway, speaking of rap, I'm really not sure what has gone in to me, but my music preference seems to be on a whirlwind tour of different genres. Just to give you an idea, here's what I've been listening to recently, album-wise (Thanks to Spotify!):

"Immersion" by Pendulum

"Beachcomber's Windowsill" by Stornoway
Genre: Alternative Indie Pop/ Folk

"Conditions" by Temper Trap
Genre: Alternative Rock

"Nothin' on You" (Single) by B.o.B. feat. Bruno Mars
Genre: Alternate Hip Hop/R&B

Come to think of it, I always have this sort of a mix in my general playlists - a hint of R&B, a sprinkle of Rock, a dash of Pop, and a cup of electronica. All alternative, preferably.

And speaking of alternative, I have a question for you. Look at your iTunes playlist. Specifically, look at the genre column. What proportion of your music says "Alternative"? Because most of the stuff I listen to seem to be categorised as "Alternative" even though I would argue them to be something else.

E.g.:
The Corrs - they're more 90's Pop than Alternative, IMO.
Fall Out Boy - I though they're a bit Pop/Rock?
Coldplay - Pop!
Linkin Park - Rock!


My point is, how do you define what is Alternative, what is Pop, and what's neither? The lines are blurring, and I think there's a need to make clear distinctions between these genres, or just forget with the whole "Alternative" idea and call it "Interesting music with no real genre".

What's your thought on Alt-Pop?

No comments: