Wednesday 27 August 2008

Favourite links for the moment.

As you may have realised by now, my blogging schedule has become very irregular.

For that, I apologise.

I just finished my first prelim period. I said 'first' because I'm having another set of prelim papers after the September holidays. Namely, Add Math Paper 2, Phy Paper 1, Art 3, and Chem Paper 1.

Anyway, in the midst of all these, I found a couple of links that I want to share!

Firstly, it's Shazam. OK, this will only get the attention of, like, the 5 people whom I know that own the iPhone. But I'm sharing it nonetheless. It's an iPhone app that helps you identify what song you're listening to over the iPhone microphone. How? Just launch the app, put the microphone over your radio speakers [or over your headphones, with the music blasting out of your headphones] for approximately 12 seconds. Then, wait a while as the app submits the sample online and communicates with its servers. In a matter of seconds, the app will then show you the artist info, song title, album, and genre! It's like the details of a certain music you get when watching MTV, but a little more on-demand! Oh, if you have iTunes, you can buy the track on the iPhone too.

Next up, it's not really the first time I mentioned them, but it seems that nobody I know uses them, except for Ryan Lee and myself [don't know why. Could be because of the Mac Cult thing]
  • Last.fm. Lets you 'scrobble' songs you play on iTunes and iPods [i.e.: update the play count]. From this, you can make charts like my screwed-up one on the right. [It's screwed because there's a bit of problems with iPod touch and iPhone OS X]. It also shows you cool stuff like upcoming concerts around you [e.g.: Kanye West@Singapore Indoor Stadium on Sep 17, Baybeats on 29-31 Aug, etc.]
  • Twitter. Micro-blogging, where you summarise the answer to the question 'What am I doing now?' in 140 characters. There's solutions to help you twitter on your mobile phone, iPods, etc.
If you happen to use the two social networking sites above, do add me as a friend!

Oh, one more site that I seldom mention, and I think I should mention them more often. It's Digg.com, a 'social news site' where users get to vote stories up until it reaches the front page. I have gained lots of blogging items from Digg, and I think I should mention them. They're pretty good at filtering more than just the plain, typical news. You get to read the wacky stuff that the general media does not even dare to talk about.

Speaking of Digg.com, I found this link over at Digg. They show a couple of neat Photoshop tricks, mostly futuristic and sci-fi-ish in theme / tone. Well, my photoshopping skills aren't as 1337 as JY's, but f you want to say you are better than him, or if you are patient [I hate to paint], go dip yourself in the awesomeness of the guides!

ok. ciao!

No comments: