Monday 12 October 2009

7ºC.

Whew. that's the temperature this morning when I tweeted, if the
weather widget on my Mac and app on my iPhone are to be believed.

It's quite finger-numbing, tapping away on an iPhone at such a
temperature. Can't imagine how I'd be using my phone in winter. I
mean, what do people do here, with a sizeable chunk of the population
using these capacitive touchscreen devices (iPod touch, T-mobile G1,
HTC Hero/HD, just to name a few). You can't use these things with a
glove on because (correct me if I'm wrong) these phones have
electrodes under the glass that can detect changes in the
electrostatic field brought about by placing our fingers on the
screen, and gloves insulate this 'change'.

So, my question is, how come I don't see anyone selling gloves with an
electrostatic patch that allows people to continue using their multi-
touch capacitive touch-screen phones? I don't see any in the Apple
Store. This idea could sell in temperate iPhone-laden countries (I'm
looking at Japan, UK/EU countries, USA, Australia, and Canada. Why
not, right? It's not technically impossible, and the target market
audience is quite willing to pay through the nose, the way I see it.
If they're willing to pay £99 for a GPS app, I think they're willing
to pay, say, £39.99 to £79.99 for a glove that allows them to use
their phones an extra 60 days a year without giving frostbites or
numbness. A premium price for a premium phone's premium accessory.
Somebody, please take this idea, go to the patent office, and run with
it. I'll happily tweet away come December in the iPhone-compatible
gloves. As long as they don't cost above £50. That's a really steep
asking price for a pair of gloves...

No comments: