Friday 16 October 2009

of rage and mediation

Initially, when I composed this blog post, I had the intention of
commenting on this controversy that Ben See's been involved in
recently. I prepared a lengthy post. However, I realised that perhaps
i shouldn't publish it, namely for the following reasons:

• By posting what I have drafted, I will be adding more oil to the
fire, which isn't very constructive.
• The situation seems to have subsided, thanks to the mediation
efforts by his classmates.
• The whole controversy is a 4SA 2009 issue, and I felt that I have
absolutely no right to stick my nose in on an incident which didn't
even relate to me.
• I do not 100% know the background behind this controversy.
• I didn't think through the implications of my decision to publish
the post, and I'd really rather not think about the worst case
scenario should I post it and Ben reads it.
• And talk about hypocrisy. The last time I criticised a friend who
was in my class, he became my enemy. So I shouldn't intervene.
• I'm already quite intrusive writing this post. I think I should not
go too deep into this incident that doesn't even relate to me. But I
have opinions that I felt I really cannot bottle up.

As such, I watered down my post and chose to redact almost the entire
thing.

All I'm going to say is that I admire a few of Ben's classmates for
how they've reacted to the whole thing. Specifically, Josiah, Zong
Zhen, and Adam. They didn't just flame Ben. They tried to take away
the pressure from the cauldron, and they deserve props for acting as
mediators in this situation.

I really hope this episode ends soon, and everyone in 4SA09 can bury
the hatchet, focus on revisions, and strive for the best in their exams.

With that, I hope all those who are doing their O Levels will be able
to focus on their revision and give their best in the last push for
this leg of their school life.

Gambate! 加油!继续努力!All the best! Up and On!


•And by the way, lay off the Facebooking, will ya?

•Also, drink more water, eat more fruits, eat and sleep properly.
There's no point memorising the entire History and SS textbook if
you're going into the exam hall with a fever, chaffed lips, and
feeling drowsy. Now that you guys have control over your schedules,
plan you time wisely.

•And don't take the Paper 1 for the sciences for granted. They might
be MCQs, but they can be tricky. Keep practicing those TYS MCQ
questions.

•And whatever the teachers in school advised, try to trust them and
follow them.

•And don't burn out - take breaks. But not too much. You know
yourself best.


Oh, and Ben, thanks for introducing me to Owl City. their music is
quite helpful in getting me to sleep, somehow. Certainly helps with my
insomnia.

[Note to self: this post should not be syndicated onto Facebook.]

No comments: