Wednesday 28 April 2010

Music Picks for the moment

Haven't done one in a while, so you know what it means, don't you? It's time to search around for stuff I've never heard of and preview them on Spotify!

Here's my picks for the moment. Note that some of these are not new, which is why these are called 'Picks', not 'chart entrants'.


#1. White Rabbits - Percussion Gun
I challenge you to listen to this track without being all fidgety and pumped. It's been ringing in my ears, and yet I'm still not sick of it. That's how you know we have a chart-topper. Well, in my charts, anyway. 5/5


#2. Ingrid Michaelson - Everybody
Thanks to Sandra & Holly for recommending this track to me. It's a fun, simple tune you could sing along to. You could say it's just clichés in it, but you know what? It doesn't matter, does it? "Everybody, Everybody wants to love, Everybody, Everybody wants to be loved" - such sweet lyrics should put a smile on your face. On top of that, Ingrid's voice is like candy to the ears. 4.6/5


#3. Train - Hey, Soul Sister
Thanks to Topsify.com and the US Charts for recommending this track. As with many US exports, I am unfamiliar to them at first. I still am, when it comes to this band. But what I do know is that this track has the vibes of another brilliant feel-good track - "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz. And we all know where that went. So, I'm sure this track will cross the Atlantic and Pacific. 4.5/5


#4. The Script - Breakeven
I know I'll look outdated with this pick. But who cares. Some of you might have heard this track before, didn't know the title/artiste, and after you google/spotify this band and hear the track, you'll now know what the band is. That's why I put it in the list. It's a nice track. 4.4/5


#5. Keane and K'naan' - Stop For A Minute
One of my favourite bands, Keane, has been in the studios. Following their last album, Perfect Symmetry, they'll be releasing "Night Train" on 10 May 2010 - I'll hopefully remember to review that when it's out. Meanwhile, we have a single to listen to. Call me biased, but it seems that whatever Keane does, I will still like it. And you know what? The same applies here. 4.3/5


#6 Miike Snow - Animal
If you are fine with imperfect vocals - think Empire of the Sun, MGMT - and you like abstract lyrics - again, think Empire of the Sun, MGMT - then this you might like. I've listened to "Black and Blue", another one of Miike's tracks, played on the radio far too often on Juice Brighton, and after looking up this guy's other tracks, I kinda like his/their tracks. 4.2/5


Alright, I'm running out of time, so here's a quick rundown on the rest of the list.

#7 Mika feat. RedOne - Kick A** (We Are Young)
Soundtrack from the movie Kick-A**. (I know it's not that bad a cuss word, but hey, this is a family-friendly blog.) 4.1/5

#8 Jack Johnson - You and Your Heart
I smell an album coming. (In June, perhaps?) 4.0/5

#9 Diana Vickers - Once
Yes, she's number one on the UK charts. Doesn't mean she's number one on mine. 3.95/5

#10 Kate Nash - Do-Wah-Doo
Again, yet another radio hit. 3.9/5


Well, there you go. My Music Picks for the moment. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!


Oh, side-track. I've tried listening to Anberlin. The only track that I like so far is "The Unwinding Cable Car". Maybe Anberlin and I are just not meant to be. In the same way that Marmite and Kiwifruits aren't meant for each other. Heh.

No comments: