Sunday 18 April 2010

On Music...

If you haven't seen my post on my room decor (probably because the images are taking years to upload), then I do recommend you check that out.

Because if you do/did, then you'd probably seen some of the stuff I've been listening to and enjoying.

I bought a CD (GASP!). The first time I heard this band, it was in a free single off of iTunes - Two Door Cinema Club is the band I'm talking about here. But once I heard the single (and iTunes rarely gives free singles that I enjoy/stick to), I thought "Hey, this is a good track. Let's see what else they have". And because the album was going for cheap at Resident, the record store in the North Laines, I bought it on Record Store Day. It's indie rock with a hint of electronica (they're not really electronica, but I sense a bit of the vibes that I normally get from an electronica track, if you get what I mean). Very similar to Phoenix, I'd say. Really enjoying the album, Tourist History. 4.5/5

Must Download: 
Something Good Can Work 
Eat That Up, It's Good For You
Come Back Home


Next up: Vampire Weekend, with Contra. Again, someone else could probably write a better description/biography of them than I can, but I'll tell it the way I hear their tracks. It's playful music. The first track, Horchata, opens up with a beat that reminds you of the Calypso. Then you have Holiday, which makes you feel you're enjoying a nice day at the beach. Oh, and of course, Giving Up The Gun (which has been charting in the UK) always puts a smile to my face everytime I hear it. Which is why it took over Will.i.am to become the song I first hear when I get up. I normally don't like playful, but for once, I actually love the beats these guys are throwing down. 4/5

Must Download:
Giving Up The Gun
Diplomat's Son
Horchata 
Run


This one's been out for some time, but apparently, I haven't reviewed it yet. So, let's talk Mumford And Sons, which should not be mistaken for a small business run by Mr Mumford. They're a slightly more folksy band - in their album, Sigh No More, you'll hear banjos, violins and the double bass, occasionally the piano and guitar, but otherwise, they're a very "stripped-down" musical group. Organic music, if you'd like to call it. Nothing wrong with that - I like how it sounds, especially on a lazy, sunny weekend. Sigh No More gets a 3.8/5.

Must Download:
The Cave
Winter Winds
Little Lion Man


From an older album to a newer album. Here's Jonsí with Go. Let's face it. This album's a bit eccentric in its arrangement. Personally, I'm not digging the sounds - maybe because I'm starting to get irritated by the falsettos. Putting my personal grudges aside, I think people who like MGMT (I'll get on to it later) and Sigur Ros will like this album. Heck, if you're a fan of Jonsi and all he's been doing, from Jonsi&Alex to Sigur Ros, then you would have probably bought this album. But personally, I'm really sorry to give it: 2/5

Must Download:
Go Do
Tornado
Kolniður


Here's a quick one: MGMT, with Congratulations. Maybe it's just me, but I don't like it. 1/5.

Must Download:
-


Here's a longer one to round up the review post - Miike Snow's latest own-name album. I've been hearing their songs being played regularly over the radio whenever I work at BHF (the charity shop where I'm volunteering). Love their stuff. It's a louder version of The xx, in a sense. Along the lines of Passion Pit. In a subjective way, I love this band. Nuff' said. 4.5/5

Must Download:
Animal
Burial
Black or Blue
A Horse Is Not A Home



There you go! 6 album reviews in a short space of time. Enjoy!

No comments: