Wednesday 5 March 2008

What I want in my next MacBook Pro

I'm probably going to be stuck on Mac OS X for the long run, so might as well just make the prediction that I'll buy a new MacBook Pro in the near future...

Anyway, since I have weird spending problems when it comes to Macs, I might as well bar myself from buying a new mac until most if not all of the things I list below appear in an updated Mac...

In order from most wanted to 'not really a must, but quite cool if it's there'.

1. BD-RE Drive. like, who doesn't want?!

2. New Design / Chassis. yawn to the current new MBPs. REFRESH THAT DESIGN! It's 4 years old, for goodness sake.

3. 4 USB 2.0 Ports. More is always necessary.

4. Wireless USB [final spec. not some draft] -> 480Mbps of wireless connetivity... Don't tell me Bluetooth is out there. Bluetooth is just a baby compared to Wireless USB.

5. Lower Heat: lower than 30Celcius on the exterior in terms of temperature. Lower that heat.

6. Comparative Speed improvement of 450% over the 2.16GHz Core Duo that I'm using, and 500% over my underclocked ATI Mobility Radeon X1600. [by Moore's Law, this should occur by 2009]

7. Battery life rating of 5.5hrs intermittent wifi use. Will be cool, i guess.

8. eSATA slot. It's faster for External HDDs to connect over eSATA than USB or FireWire.

9. new keyboard: more like the MacBook, MacBook air, and the wired / wireless keyboards: more spaces between keys!

10. larger trackpad, smaller left-click button.

11. Touchscreen. 

12. DDR3 RAM support, and hopefully a cap increase up to 8GB of RAM.

13. OS X 10.6 Lynx.

14. iLife '09

15. 500GB 5400rpm HDD. Oh, maybe an option for 256GB or even 512GB SSD.

16. upgraded speakers.

17. REDUCED: Thickness of the dream MacBook Pros: flat 2cm or 0.78". That's "MacBook Air-ish".

18. 1920x1080 native resolution screen. It's currently 1440x900. what's another 480x180?

19. Hookless magnetic latch. I think mine's damaged.

20. an upgraded iSight camera. Not important, but it'll be nice to have 2MP on a laptop.


Apple, Hope you're looking!

No comments: