Sunday 10 May 2009

Economics and music patterns

I'm going to swinging from topic to topic, just so you know.

I have to do a presentation for Key Skills Class (think of it as learning skills). The topic has to be related to what we are studying. So for me, it has to be relevant to either Maths, Accounting, Psychology, or Economics.

So let's narrow down that list...

Maths - What the hell am I going to present? That Fibonacci number pattern + Pigeonhole Principle thing? again? really? Wasn't the first time not very successful?

Accounting - Another big problem. What can I present that is going to be interesting and not difficult to put into words for me to speak (the powerpoint isn't a problem. but the 'speech that goes with the PPT, that's a problem)?

So it was down to Psychology and Economics. In the end, I took the easy route - I chose Econs.

I'm doing a presentation on how the tiered pricing model in the iTunes music store affects the demand and supply of digital music download, and how the competition (Amazon MP3) affects iTunes with its cheaper prices. Basically, I'm focusing on the demand & supply bit in microeconomics.

Interesting, yah?

I have to say, I love the Amazon store for its prices. You can get tracks for 29p - 79p (most that I want are 69p), much cheaper than iTunes' 59p - 99p pricing (and most that I want are either 79p or 99p). 

But of course, that doesn't mean I stop buying things from iTunes. I still get Heroes episodes from iTunes, and let's not forget movie rentals (I like to rent movies for the weekends) and Apps. I just bought Cooking Mama for my iPhone. Yes. That Wii / DS game is now on the iPhone. very fun. Made me smile while I was playing the game, for some strange unexplainable reason. It's an awesome game for the iPhone.

Back to music: I realised that my music taste has been changing over the years. It's like every year brings something new for me to like. Just look at the bolded words that describe the theme of the different years.

2001 till 2005 was largely The Corrs, mixed in with other stuff that I can no longer remember. But after I learnt to accept the fact that The Corrs is on a long-term hiatus, I moved on.

2006 gave me the more obscure stuff like Les Choristes, Imogen Heap, and more.

2007 was the year of the punk rock (ish) with Linkin Park and Avril Lavigne, and some extras with KT Tunstall, Radiohead and Timbaland's gang at the side. Also, the Umbrella became the word of the year, thanks to Rihanna.

2008 saw the rise of Coldplay, Jason Mraz, and Fall Out Boy. Emo-ish (if you listen to their songs / lyrics), towards both ends of the gentle-vs-rock spectrum.

This year, though, the theme appears to be Dance-ish.

Just look at the artistes / songs that I've been liking so far this year.

•Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You
Slightly techno + dance theme.

•AR Rahman and PCD - Jai Ho!
very upbeat, and just look at the movie - the original song was used in the closing dance credit in Slumdog Millionaire.

•Metro Station - Shake It
Shake it! sounds like a dance number to me...

•Noisettes - Don't Upset The Rhythm (Go Baby Go)
Reminds me of a dance instructor's song.

•Lady Gaga
The song "Just Dance" says it all. I think she might have started my addiction to dance beats...

So, perhaps this is the big theme of the year? Dance-ish music?

We'll see...

No comments: