Wednesday 27 May 2009

WWDC 2009 Predictions!

In 12 days' time, Apple will be holding a Developer Conference, which
kicks off with a keynote address.

Last year, I posted my predictions for the 2008 WWDC.

The results? Not good.

It could be because I posted the predictions way too early. Or perhaps
I didn't have a good-enough pool of rumours. So, this year, I decided
to do the predictions 2 weeks before the event.

So, let's jump straight in, shall we?

Predictions of what will happen in the Keynote Address...

1) New iPhone(s).
This one's a no-brainer. But the tough part is "what's in the new
iPhone?" I think it should be:
i. Better camera (with auto-focus and 3.2MP),
ii. a digital compass,
iii. matte plastic case on the back,
iv. support for remotes on the newer earphones,
v. faster processor,
vi. higher 3G speed,
vii. 2x the memory (both RAM and NAND),
viii. HD 720p support,
ix. iPhone OS 3.0,
x. Release Date: July 17

2) Snow Leopard.
Another "duh". But Apple's been quite quiet about Snow Leopard. So,
this one's harder to predict, with the exception of what Apple has
posted on their website. Not much going on here, but I'll say:
i. Snow Leopard is coming before September.

3) iPhone OS 3.0 - More talk about this during the keynote.
i. Video capture & editing,
ii. GPS (turn-by-turn using the digital compass),
iii. Movies and TV shows download from the iPhone (over Wi-Fi only),
iv. Applications support for accessories and Push Notification Support
re-explained
v. Release date - July 17.

4) What is/isn't going to happen...
i. Steve Jobs will not appear on stage
ii. Phil Schiller and Scott Forstall will.
iii. No new iPods released or announced.
iv. No new Macs released or announced.
v. No new tablet. Not yet. The time's not right for something that
Apple is still manufacturing (they just bought the 10" screens,
remember?). Nothing about the tablet, because the iPhone OS 3.0 and
Snow Leopard is more than enough for one event. A new tablet will
steal the limelight from the new iPhone.


Ok, there's my 4 predictions.

Now, here's how I'm going to "grade" myself this time round.

Each major prediction is worth 25%. 4 x 25% = 100%. Makes sense, right?

Each subpart (e.g.: i.) from every prediction has equal weightage
WITHIN THE SAME PREDICTION ONLY. Meaning:
for Prediction (1), there are 10 subparts, so each lettered prediction
is worth 2.5%,
for Prediction (2), there is only 1 subpart, so that's worth 25% right
there.
for prediction (3) and (4), there are 5 subparts each, so each subpart
is worth 5%.

My aim: 65%. Not very high, but in this tough economic times,
forecasts and expectations are low. So is mine. But 65% will be much
better than that 0% I got for one of my bouts of predictions...

June 8, 2009, I'm waiting...

No comments: