Friday 10 April 2009

The New MBP - the review thus far.

I know it's quite early for a review of a thing I just bought, but the
Unibody MBP is awesome.

I mean it.

Where do I start? The first thing that caught my eyes is the gorgeous
display. Yes, it's a glossy glass display, but so far, in the
conditions I've been using this laptop in, I did not find problems
related to reflection. (I didn't buy any display film, nor is there
any attached.) The colours really pop, as Apple execs often brag in
the keynotes. I never believed in how true this was, till I glanced my
eyes at this laptop.

I placed this MBP on my lap, and it didn't burn. Hallelujah! (Speaking
of which, it's Good Friday/Easter Weekend!)

One gripe I have, which I never thought of till I tried plugging in my
Time Machine drive - Why the heck are ALL the ports on the left, and
so close to the MagSafe Connector? If you RTFM (that's Tech support
speak. Not telling you what it means, go look up on Urban Dictionary.
You'll be so happy you did.), you're not supposed to place any
magnetic-sensitive objects, like CREDIT CARDS (please read this if you
have an ATM card. DON'T PUT YOUR WALLET/CARDS NEAR THAT DARN PORT!),
iPod Classics, Hard Disks, etc. (Flash Drives are fine. But I don't
dare to say the same for the really old CFs, though.) Other than that
magnetism issue, I realised that I, coming from a MBP with a USB port
on both left and right, and a FireWire on the right, have to redesign
the way I do things, all thanks to a design change. Oh well, at least
the insides have been reported to be much cleaner and well-organized.

Another gripe: Apple is such a capitalist. They switched to Mini-
Display Port, and so I had to buy a VGA adapter. They switched to
FireWire 800, so I had to buy a new cable for my Seagate FreeAgent /
Time Machine Drive, which has FireWire 400. This thing no longer comes
with the Apple Remote. Like, WHY?!

And worst of all - The warranty. I ponied up the extra S$600+ (S
$534.65 after 15% discount. Thanks, EpiCentre! But you have to admit,
$530 is still a lot to pay for what I'll call "a necessity",
considering how much the laptop costs, and the failure rate of
laptops.) for 3 years of tech support. I figured, I might as well if
this machine is so powerful and if I'm going to use it for 3 years -
around the same length of time my previous MBP lasted before it went
to the crappers. Let's hope nothing happens, but if something does, I
know there's an Apple Store opening in Brighton, where I'll be
studying, so I can go to the Genius Bar and get this puppy fixed up in
no time.

Other than that, this machine rocks. Awesome design,

Oh, I just realised this, so I'll say it: The speaker has good vocal
sounds, but other than that, it's crap. Maybe it's the lack of a
woofer, or the new "holes", but crap is crap.

K. that's all I'm going to complain about this MBP. minor gripes, but
ones that I can live with. Besides,

1. I don't ever use the in-built speakers when listening to music -
only for when I'm on-the-go.
2. I'm going to a new place, so I can start a new layout of where what
goes.
3. I got a gefty discount on the warranty. Not the most possible, but
it's good enough.
4. I don't need an Apple Remote that badly.
5. I love this thing just by the fact that I can put it on my lap
without screaming in pain. SOLD!

No comments: