Saturday 18 April 2009

Post #999: Life so far...

It's been 4 days of school, and I've finally come to my first real
weekend here.

I said 'real' because now, I actually know how to do stuff here, like
how to buy a bus pass. Or how to get on the train from Portslade to
Brighton. (Hint: If you come to the UK, the nearest train station to
my house is Portslade. But make sure you book accomodation elsewhere -
you can't stay with me.)

I opened up my bank account, so if you want to send money, you may
contact me for the numbers and stuff (jk).

I dropped 85% of the Singlish-ness in me. Still find myself saying
"larh" and "erm..." (the non-Singlish way is "Umm...", like good old
Billy G. That's Bill Gates, to the rest of you.). That's a shockingly
small amount of Singlish, mind you, for someone who lived in Singapore
for 10 years, hanging out with nobody else other than Singaporeans
(which has its pros and cons, the biggest con being Singlish. It's
contagious).

Oh, Ren Yuan, I'm running my MBP in High Performance mode at last.
Feels the same to me, although windows that are playing videos don't
fizzle when I move them around, as if you ran them on a projector.

Speaking of videos - I rented Dark Knight. One of those movies that
got raving reviews, but I didn't watch.

Anyway, let's talk about school. How was you school/JC/Poly?

I've been through enough lessons to get a feel of what school's going
to be like.

I have a Psychology teacher that's very nice, but sometimes, she talks
quite fast. But nonetheless, the lessons are interesting. Currently,
we're learning about Experimental Techniques, such as lab, field, or
natural experiments. Then, we learnt about IV, DV, and EV. IV =
Independent variable, D = dependent (back to Mr Goh's Physics class!
lol...), EV = Extraneous Variable (that's new.).

Then, I have a Math teacher whom I feel is covering the lessons only
because his boss asked him to. You see, the Mathematics A Levels here,
especially what they call "C1 to C4 modules", are basically Add Math
at O Level in Singapore. Not sure why, but that's the fact. For the JC
guys in Singapore, can someone echo to me if the Mathematics A Level
there is the same as Add Math O Level? It's starting to bother me, but
UCAS and LSE both say A Level Mathematics is required if you want to
avoid taking extra Math classes in Uni. Oh well...

Anyway, I have a pretty strict Accounts teacher, but she can be nice
at times. Not much to say, really, except that Raymond's notes really
helped me get an advantage, since I know a bit more about Accounts now
than I did before, even though I just casually breezed through his
file (info overload, larh).

And there's the Economics teacher. Probably the scariest-looking
teacher that I have, because he looks pretty darn strict. But his
classes are always interesting. He makes us do activities in classes
to help us relate to the things we learn. For example, for
"Opportunity Cost", he asked us to list 3 things that we want to do if
we had £50, 3 possible subjects we wanted to study if we were allowed
one more A Level subject, 3 things we wanted to do that night, and 3
things the UK Government could do with £50bln in tax revenue. From
this we learnt that due to scarcity, we have to allocate resources,
and sometimes, that means choosing one thing at the expense of the
best alternative. So, the opportunity cost is actually the best
alternative sacrificed or forsaken.

There's the Learning Skills and Tutor Group teachers too, but I think
this post is long enough, so I won't get too deep into those.

I think I'm quite happy with the choice I made. Hopefully, I'll cope
with the pace of things over here. What about you? TAG! BLOG! FB! I
want to hear!

By the way, this is post #999. I have something prepared for post
#1,000. Be prepared for a whole new blog. But you won't hear about it
till the 1,000th post! so Watch this space!

No comments: