Saturday 7 February 2009

thinking back...

I was reading Bryant's blog about his 'alternative futures' between CJ
and ACJC, drawing a parallel from his post-PSLE times when he was
choosing between ACSI and SJI.

Come to think of it, how did I choose my path, between PSLE and now,
after the 'O' Levels?

Rolling back the clock to 4+ years ago, I tried to apply into NUS High
School Of Mathematics And Science. I was thinking how exciting it
would be to be in a new environment surrounded by teachers and
students who are enthusiastic about the two subjects that interest me.
It was a "Harry Potter and the talking hat" kind of moment for me. I
could go to NUS High where I'll be learning more Math and Science than
anyone else at my age in Singapore, or I could take up a proper 4-year
'O' Level programme. I told myself this thing that may seem foolish to
others, but I call it fate: I'll let the result of this DSA
application be my path-decider. If it passes through, I'm in NUS High.
If it fails, I'll post myself to SAJS. First Choice, no other. Looking
back at that time, my guardians were actually pushing me into other
schools. Cat High, MSHS, VS, Anglican. These schools which ranked
higher than SA. I insisted on my way, and I ended up in SASS.

Zooming into 2006, the chance for a get-away to NUS High again, I
skipped it. You could blame it on my ignorance, or my deliberate mis-
action. Mervyn Wee went to NJC. Sherwyn, his scouts senior who also
happened to know me, advised me on taking that path as well - A "Get
out of SA" card that was hanging there, waiting for me to RSVP. I
turned down this chance, mainly because of two hindrances -

a) Ms Poon, my P6 teacher, reminded me that the 6-year IP programme
are geared more towards more independent learning. Seeing my Sec 2
results, IP may not be suitable for me yet. But aside from that, the 6-
year programme meant I would definitely be remaining in Singapore till
my 'A's. I wanted to leave that option open, just in case.

b) My CCAs. I love my current status in SASS, being on the way towards
leadership positions in both Choir and PA. Heck, I wanted to be a
prefect when I was in Sec 1, but because of the nature of PA, I cannot
be involved in both groups at the same time.

I went on the Upper Sec days with leadership roles in 2 CCAs, Ben Toh
pwning everyone in virtually most of the subjects, and me being close
behind. So close, I managed to emerge top in Sec 3 Final Year based on
the average mark for the L1R5 subjects, in spite of a higher L1R5 than
Ben. That's how close we're talking about. Like Bush-vs-Gore 2000 US
Presidential Elections close.

I guess it was towards the last few months of 2007, when my guardian
started doing something that crossed my parents - They are renting
rooms in their already-cramped house. Just to give an idea, my
guardians stay in a semi-detached house that had 6 bedrooms, 2 of
which were added on by adding partition walls to an empty area at the
back of our house, near the kitchen. The master bedroom is for my
guardians, 1 of their 2 nieces, and myself. Another room was for the
other niece + 1 nephew, and an extra bed. The other four rooms can
take a total of 9 people. Adding the number of people up, we get a max
of 16 people under one roof. That's not the big issue. The big issue
is that these 16 people share 2 toilets. And even if the house is not
packed, it always has a minimum of 11 residents on any given day. My
parents were concerned of the possible hygiene complications that may
arise. They may seem over-reactive, but seeing how many skin problems
I've been having, that concern may be legitimate. My parents gave me 2
options: Either I come up with a plan to move to another place to
reside in, or I go overseas. For some unknown reason, they refused to
let me stay alone in the apartments they own in River Valley or at the
Kim Seng Road area. But I didn't know where to find myself another
guardian, so my parents forcefully insisted on me going overseas.

Had it not been for this one issue, I could be talking to you about my
orientation experience at NJC or SAJC, or even VJC. Heck, maybe even
RJ, if the cut-off didn't drop to an insanely 3 points for both streams.

But in this dimension, I am on my way to Bellerbys College, after
which I shall head to London School of Economics.

I have to admit, I still have cold feet on this whole going to the UK
to do my A Levels idea. I'm not so used to this whole "starting from a
blank page" idea. But then again, what difference would it make if I
were to spend my A Level days in Singapore than in the UK?

Well, for a long time, I thought there was none.

But I managed to find a reason to prove myself wrong.

Yes, there is a benefit of going to the UK to study.

Firstly, Mr Gordon Goh, my Physics teacher, told me that his friend
went to LSE, and he said it was a good school with a conducive
environment. That's a good sign right there that I'm not going on a
wrong path. After all, LSE is #1-2 in Finance / Accounting Degree
Programme in the UK. So that was one source of consolation.

Secondly, I found out that I would be doing my A Levels in June 2010
if I were to go to the UK, and I would go into Uni within 2010 itself.

Comparing to studying in Singapore, I would only finish my As in Nov
2010, and after waiting for the results and all that, I would only be
in the Uni in 2011, right after I actually complete my A Levels. In
other words - I can shave one year off from the number of years I need
before I can get a Degree.

I decided not to do a foundation programme because my parents want me
to graduate with a recognised degree. It's a sad truth, but Indonesian
employers tend to look up to Western Universities more than, to be
blunt and direct about it, NUS. This is in spite of the fact that NUS
has started popping up in global rankings. I tried to convince my
parents, but they refused to listen. Must be far away.

Well, I guess that sums up my reflections on my decisions in terms of
education.

on a totally off-topic note: I'm starting to miss having a bowl of Bak
Chor Mee. With lots of vinegar and soy sauce. And a little bit of liver.

No comments: