Wednesday 3 June 2009

Whoops. There it goes.

Ren Yuan was IM-ing me of a little problem that some of you might have noticed in my blog skin.

The overflow.

Because I based my blog's Template code on another blogskin with the same structure, I copied large part of the code verbatim. The end result? A few quirks that might have suited that blogskin, but not mine. For example, the skin was meant for uber small (i.e.: around 8-point) font size. My blog, as you can see, is not 8-point. And to make matters worse, I email my posts from Apple Mail, so I have absolutely no control over how the page breaks would occur. This is a big problem in URL links, which can be quite long, so much so that they spill over to the next line. Or at least that's what they're supposed to do. They didn't. Because I left the overflow to "auto", which HTML coders say is the same as leaving it to "scroll", it, well, scrolled. So, for the Multi-touch trackpad users, you'd find that putting 2 fingers on your gigantic trackpad and moving them sideways whilst reading a post would move your post left and right. not cool.

So, I removed the code for overflow. There is no overflow. So, I might have a URL that goes from left to right and out of the frame, but I'm fine with that, seeing that there's nothing much on the sides anyway.

So, do comment on your opinions, whether you think I'm a mad genius, or a freaking idiot for taking out the "overflow" property because that will make your browser explode. Then again, if your browser explodes, how did you post on my tagboard? Perhaps your browser was inferior anyway.

Oh, Ren Yuan and I created a new word today. (that's "today'' in my time zone at time of writing. If you're in 4 Jun 2009, it was yesterday that this word was created.)


Hug•ly |həglē|
adjective
horribly ugly; horrifically ugly : that teddy bear is so hugly, I don't want to see it anymore.

DERIVATIVES
hor•rif•i•cal•ly ug•ly |hɔˈrɪfək(ə)li 'əglē| adverb adjective
hor•ri•bly ug•ly |ˈhɔrəbli 'əglē| adverb adjective
[censored]•ing ug•ly |ˈfəki ng 'əglē| informal adjective
fug•ly |fəglē| informal adjective
ug•ly |'əglē|adjective

See? I even took the effort of making it look like a proper entry from Apple's Dictionary.

No comments: