Tuesday 6 November 2007

heh. saw that gun coming...

I post this post [heh. ironic phrase. we need a new phrase that's not in a "ABA" pattern...] to put off the criticisms on my Flickr about "awkward" or "bad" photos.

Those [obviously] aren't my best shots.

Why am I posting my worse shots on Flickr?

Well, couple of simple reasons.

1. Intellectual Property rights issue. Flickr is an "online photo-sharing thing". As such, whatever photos you post onto flickr, you are sharing with the rest of the Flickr community. Intellectual property is something you would want to defend. For example, if you want to take part in a Photo Competition, they often mention that your submissions should not be photos that were previously published online. Uploading your good shots to Flickr means you are "sworn" to never use the shot for photography competitions unless they are using Flickr for the shots. Well, if that's the case, then I'll post better shots up there. But anyway, I preserved my better photos and keep them in a network of folder hierarchies in my hard drive(s). Yes, I need a database.

2. Sensetive place. The place which I went to was to a great extent, training area for the Gurkhas / military people. They were giving me very hard, rude stares as I went around taking shots, so I figured I act discretely.

3. Skies are nice, but skies cannot be controlled. Look at that sky. Ok, fine, they appear light in most of the shots, but I shot the photos at around 6pm, passing sunset hour. That meant darkening skies. The entire field did not have a single light source, except for the houses nearby [e.g.: my house.] And the place is not exactly small or flat, unlike what you see on Google Earth. Hence, light is practically only available from radiosity .
p.s.: i don't have a flash, I don't plan to get one, I don't like to carry them. And also, I don't have reflectors which will work in this sort of conditions.


P.s.s.: I have labelled shots with ['O'] for the ones I am using as prelim studies for my 'O's. no hint on the topic I'm going for, but I think you can figure out on your own...

No comments: