Thursday 8 November 2007

RANT| what's in a name?

I have a question to ask: What's in a name?

In the technology world of the 70s,80s, and 90s, we had very logical name. The Playstation obviously means it is a console, or "station", for playing games. The PowerBook meant a notebook which had more processing power than its sibling, the iBook. Windows 2000 meant the Microsoft Operating System with a UI made of windows, released in 2000.

In recent years, names of Tech gadgets, softwares, and Web2.0 apps are going into the reds.

Firstly, what the f*** is a Wii? It sounds sick, wrong, childish, and soft. "I wanna play with my Wii!", is that what Nintendo wants its consumers to say? Perverts.

Next, i-whatever. I know Apple invented the iPod and iBook, but why must everyone, including Apple themselves, pose them? iLife, not just the software package, but also the air purifier from Osim, notorious for adding an 'i' or a 'u' in front of their products. then the iPhone. iTV, a Cable TV service in the UK, saved apple from adding another i-product. i-witness, a CNN initiative for people to submit eye-witness footages of events happening around them. get what 'i' mean?

Then there's the people who are just trying to be different. Motorola hates vowels, but we know Asus loves the most common vowel in the English language, they decided to call their latest PC with 3 of these: the Eee-PC.

Oh, don't get me started with Windows Vista. Vista? Clarity? more like constant pop-ups asking me to either "Cancel" or "Allow". Heh, I'm pretty clear this UAC pop-up is blocking my view.

And what about their campaign slogan? the WOW starts NOW? what wow? World of Warcraft? it plays better in XP than on Vista. Why must I say 4 words before WoW starts? that is retarded. Where is my instant-startup World of WarCraft game? not that I play, but seriously, why are computers today as slow as computers from last year?

and what the HELL is Mio? "My instinct overloaded"? Retarded marketing retards.

Then there's FireWire. Why the f*** do I want my wire to have fire? fire moves quite slowly, by the way...

Pixma? huh? what's that? Canon, you marketing people are Aliens, vapourise them!

Twitter,Flickr, Friendster, Blogger, Joost, Flixter, are just some of the most vocabulary-degenerating works of art
[sarcasm added] in the web.

Please people, be logical when naming your company or service...
k. rant over [for now]

ADDITIONS
Windows CE,
Windows ME
Windows NT

CE-ME-NT.

Yes, Microsoft can spell.

No comments: